Saturday, July 8, 2023

Making of the Encyclopaedia | Prof. George Menachery | Part 4

 Saturday Evening Post

Making of the Encyclopaedia

From the Horse’s own Mouth

George Menachery

Four

At this juncture another incident occurred.  This I have narrated in my introduction to the third volume in 2010.

“So I started writing the Introduction, full of confessions, lamentations, regrets, and apologies,…..and also full of gratitude and joy:

On the morning of July 3, 1970, while we were all sitting in our drawing room, my father who was an addict of the Malayalam newspaper “The Express,” which he was getting free for many years, read out an item from it – an announcement that the 19th Death Centenary of Apostle St. Thomas would be celebrated on a large scale in 1972. Then I said, sipping my coffee, “I think I will bring out an Encyclopaedia on the Church in India for the occasion.”

The Idea of writing a booklet on the Christian Heritage of India was already in my mind, vaguely, ever since the 1969 national seminar “Church in India Today” held at Bangalore. On and off I used to think about that. But now I had fixed a date for its completion – not as a mere booklet but a whole encyclopaedia.

Two months later, one day in September, I thought of presenting this idea before Cardinal Parecattil. I was emboldened to do this because I had interviewed His Eminence for a British weekly in 1969 and on that occasion he had strongly praised my interventions at the National Seminar and also spoken highly of my initiative in establishing in 1967 the  first ever lay leadership training institute in India. He even had provided me a cosy First Class Coupe in the Special Train chartered to take His Eminence back from Bangalore to Ernakulam after first returning from Rome as Cardinal.

Well, I wanted to give a blow by blow description of my tedious journey that has now [then] lasted four decades, giving importance to all those who had helped me in realizing my destiny. I wanted to mention dozens of individual writers, scores of museums and libraries in India, Europe, and America (and their curators and librarians), many generous hosts and hostesses in different States and countries, and much more. Then all of a sudden I realized that it would take up many pages to do justice to all these matters, and a good deal of time which would further delay the publication of the volume. So eventually I decided to restrict the introduction to just one or two pages and to write a small separate book entitled the “Making of the Encyclopaedia”.

But I am writing that small book only now, in 2023, thirteen years after I had made the promise to myself. These two incidents, one the National Seminar experience, and two my announcement to the family that I would make this encyclopaedia, and eventually to the public at large, made me apply myself a little more earnestly and seriously to make the dream a reality. And once I had made this decision public there was no escape, and no possibility of going back on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making of the Encyclopaedia | Prof. George Menachery | Part 21

     Saturday Evening Post Making of the Encyclopaedia From the Horse’s own Mouth George Menachery Twenty One I went to P. Orr. & Sons...