Saturday, July 29, 2023

Making of the Encyclopaedia | Prof. George Menachery | Part 7

    Saturday Evening Post

Making of the Encyclopaedia

From the Horse’s own Mouth

George Menachery

Seven

From this time onwards it became my habit to get up at around 3 a. m. frequently, take my bath, dress and proceed to the bus stop, not only to go to Vadavathoor, but also to any location in Kerala where there was any possibility of examining the exquisite objects of art and architecture of Kerala, especially the churches, or of meeting some person, generally some elderly person, priest or layman, who could provide some information on the history or culture of the St. Thomas Christians. Often I used to board the first bus that came along arbitrarily, trusting in providence to take me to some useful destination. Thus sometimes I went to Kothamangalam, sometimes to Chengannur, sometimes to  Kuravilangad. Wherever I went thus I was able to collect some useful information on the Church, or some souvenir or other publication, or some photographs. In the period from 1970 to 1972 I must have visited at least a hundred locations in Kerala travelling mostly by bus. On a few occasions I hired a taxi for two or three days and visited scholars or bishops or interesting locations or studios in different parts of the State. My journeys were mostly towards the south as there are not many early Christian centres to the north of the Trichur  District.

My mother used to awaken me punctually at any time in the night as instructed by me the previous day and get ready the hot water for my bath. Any appointments I had I used to inform her and she invariably reminded me the date and time of such appointments at the right moment. She was more punctual than an alarum clock. Now I understand that she must have been often keeping herself awake many nights in order to awaken me at 3 a. m. or 3.30. But in those days I was not sufficiently considerate to understand the inconveniences I was causing people who made my life comfortable, especially my mother and father. For I was consumed by my passion to accomplish one thing or another.

Accordingly as mentioned above I boarded a bus from Ollur to Kottayam at 5 a. m. and reached Kottayam by around 9.00 o’clock; breakfasted on a Masala Dosa from Anandabhavan and proceeded to the Vadavathoor Seminary by Autoricksha. In those days the charge was only Rs. 35, now it is nearer Rs. 150. At the Seminary entrance I asked for Fr. Koodappuzha and the boy took me a rather long distance along twists and turns to the staff recreation room near the dining hall. Fr. Koodapuzha was very glad to see me and he took me to the rector Dr. Joseph Pallikkapparambil and introduced me to him. When I mentioned the purpose of my visit Dr. Pallikkapparambil allotted me a room in the staff quarters.   

This meeting with the rector Dr. Pallikkapparambil was one of the most fruitful events in the Encyclopaedia’s tedious journey. From that time onwards whenever I had to visit the seminary alone or in company with one or two of my assistants I was given a right royal welcome and comfortable accommodation. I could roam in the library at will. And Fr. Paul Marocky the librarian lent me rare books like Monier-Monier Williams’ dictionary, and the Malabar Church edited by Dr. Vellian in honour of Fr. Placid, and “Eastern Christianity”of Tisserant-Hambye, all for long long durations. In fact I was asked to return these volumes only after the publication of the Kerala Volume.

I met Dr. Jacob Vellian also there who wrote two articles for the Kerala Volume. Two books by Farquhar edited by him I have included in the Indian Church History Classics, Volume I, The Nazranies. Our trips together to the US to participate in a Seminar on the Early History of Christianity in India, organized at the Concordia College, Bronxville, New York, and again another one at Chennai, by Dr. John Samuel of the ICSCI of Chennai were memorable ones.

Dr. Paul Chittilappilly, who afterwards became Vicar General of Trichur,  Bishop of Kalyan, and later Bishop of Thamarassery,  also was there at Vadavathoor as a Professor. He contributed the article Patriarchal Dignity for the Syro-Malabar Church. This article was much quoted and discussed and had some indirect influence in the Syro-Malabar Church becoming a Major Archi-Episcopal Sui Juris Church. 

For the Encyclopaedia I had envisaged a Propaedia, Micropaedia, Macropaedia approach – though this was before the Brittanica adopted such a style. I had Major Articles which dealt with important topics at great length. But many items remained untouched. Hence I had a section entitled Minor  Articles which dealt in  short articles with some four hundred odd items. Dr. Pallikkapparambil permitted and even encouraged, all the theology students of 1st Theology, 2nd Theology, and 3rd Theology classes to write one or two of these short entries each. This saved me a lot of time and energy, although at the time of going to press I had to trim and polish most of the contributions of the young seminarians. I also appended the names of the contributors to their respective entries in the Encyclopaedia. This I have been told was a great incentive to them to study and write about matters connected with the Church in later years. Many of them took their doctorates. Later on from the ranks of these contributors arose bishops, vicars general, chancellors, seminary professors, provincials, and principals in various dioceses and institutions.

As for Dr. Koodappuzha himself, he consented to be a member of the Board of Editorial Consultants, and wrote two major articles: One, The Faith and Communion of the Thomas Christians, and two, The History of the Church in Kerala in the Pre-Portuguese Period. But he performed a much more salutary service. He told me that for information on non-Catholic Churches, in Kerala but specially outside Kerala in India,  the best source would be Fr. Dr. Paul Varghese, then Principal of the Orthodox Theological College, Kottayam, and later the Orthodox Bishop of Delhi as Paulos Mar Gregorios. Straight away I went to the Orthodox Theological Seminary and met Dr. Paul Varghese. He not only consented to be a member of the Board of Editorial  Consultants but contributed the major article The Church in Kerala at the Coming of the Portuguese and the very important article on The Syrian Orthodox Church. But more importantly he was constantly available for consultation on all matters connected with the non-Catholic Churches in India and introduced me to scholars from various Churches outside Kerala who contributed articles on their own churches for the first volume. Later he also became President of the WCC. His assessment of the Encyclopaedia can be read in the extracts from reviews given earlier. All these good omens gave me an added appetite to be up and doing – to work tirelessly to make my dream of the Encyclopaedia a reality. “Because there is a force [as Melchizedek told the shepherd boy in the Alchemist] that wants you to realize your Personal Legend; it whets your appetite with a taste of success.”

 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making of the Encyclopaedia | Prof. George Menachery | Part 21

     Saturday Evening Post Making of the Encyclopaedia From the Horse’s own Mouth George Menachery Twenty One I went to P. Orr. & Sons...